Saturday, July 29, 2006

On the Nature of Progress

At last! A bit of progress with the grey kitten. Last week I made a little bed for them inside an old planter... this week she seemed to discover it~ she eats, drinks, plays with my cats through the glass door and curls up in the little bed to rest, then eats again, etc...

Tonight I finally opened my door (my cats locked out of the room to avoid fur-flying fiasco) and SHE STEPPED INSIDE. After a month this may not seem like great progress, but she is stray and obviously some humans have been unkind to her. She is the friendliest of her sweet family - the rest tend to eat and run, even her little sister (the black kitten.) The Grey stepped in, sniffed around, meowed, stayed by the door, eventually went back out. I stayed relatively still on the other side of the room, ever patient, some day she is going to let me pet her, hold her, brush her and eventually find her (and pray the rest) a good home.

This is patient work, to love someone who won't let you near, and that when she finally does I'll have to let her go.

No comments: