Monday, July 24, 2006

Green Woods, Family, Butterflies

This is becoming something of a weekly, isn't it? I know, I know, but you know too... so busy, so busy.

This week past, however, we were on glorious (albeit brief) holiday. So beautiful!
We were greeted by a deer in the yard, always a good omen.

Saw lovable extended family, quality time with Mama, taught her new vegan recipes, loved up the cats at Mama's house (extended family also), bought fresh produce from a local farm, late night swimming, hiking, long walks, a requisite visit to my hometown public library (hallowed ground), fed hometown stray cat, spent a miraculous SIX minutes at the DMV renewing my ID, fed ducks, walked by the river, visited guitar shop, entertained neighborhood kids, even the carnival was in town! My favorite thing of all; waking up and drinking coffee on the deck that faces the woods, reading a book while dozens of birds are the only sound, and anywhere from six to sixteen butterflies flit around... Heaven...

... And the funny thing is, this was all in just two days. Long Amtrak rides filled the rest of our getaway~ but we made the most of that too... the backache is already gone! You know I love reading, but I have to say that when you are exhausted and have a ten hour trip, the portable DVD player is just wonderful. So comforting to put the seats back, the dual headphones on and watch The Simpsons, Frasier, Guinevere and The Philadelphia Story. What makes time pass better than TV? (well, the computer I suppose.)

Anyway we are back in the city appreciating our city things and city family and city cats. The butterflies can flit around in my head for now.

No comments: