Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Faerie Library

I am now finishing GRANIA by the great Morgan Llewellyn. She has chronicled most of Irish history in so many grand works of fiction that reading one will only make you want to read another. I have read about six of her books thus far, BARD and DRUIDS were most compelling. GRANIA reads more like a romantic adventure (worthy of an embarrassing mass market paperback genre fiction cover) than her other books. GRANIA is about Grainne Mhaille, more commonly known as Grace O'Malley, the infamous "Pirate Queen." It is doubly fascinating that she was a contemporary (and enemy) of Elizabeth I, another historical obsession of mine. Both women of strength, flaws, and many stories.

Now I hear the same Grace O'Malley is coming to Broadway in a new musical, The Pirate Queen. I will have to see this.

Prior to this I was in an obsessive Henry James and Edith Wharton phase. Fun to read the books and then pick at the movies. (Daisy Miller? Oh my...)

Next I decide between THE WHITE RAVEN by Diana Paxton (possibly the only Tristan and Isolde left on earth for me to read) and A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Dickens (we just got a lovely new copy~ rereading old school books is so much fun) or THE COLOR PURPLE by Alice Walker (glad admiration bestowed) or THE DARK HILLS DIVIDE (surpise gift from my true love, he thought the cover looked like something magical I would like... awwwwwwww)

There are at least three other books in the stack, cannot recall but only more fun decisions to make. Be well, you lovers of all tales told.

No comments: