Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Stray Cat Strut

Well, the family of stray cats who appeared in the courtyard have officially moved into my heart. We've been leaving food for them on the terrace every day for a week now, and they are already expecting the full dish in the wee hours of the morning. I leave the door open, so my three cats can watch the strays through the glass (screen) door. Today the little black kitten came nose to nose with Z. through the glass. You had to see it. Cuteness overload. I am trying to take photos without disturbing the scene (or the breakfast.)

I am not exaggerating, they are a whole family. Slim grey mommy cat with white boot feet, big black daddy cat with gorgeous green eyes and a tuft of white under his chin, and two heartbreaking girl kittens (I can tell by the shape of their eyes); one black with rust tint, one super fluffy grey and white, more fur than kitten. I would guess the kittens at about eight weeks old~ so so sweet!
What to do? I cannot take them in, it would be irresponsible to the three cats we have. It is very possible they belong to some very bad owners in the neighborhood. The courtyard is vast, rows of backyard gardens, if a stray kitty has to live somewhere in the city, this is the place. But they need veterinary care, they need to be spayed and neutered, they need proper, constant food and water, and they need more love.
I'll see where this relationship goes; I don't think the mommy or daddy would ever let me near, but I might be able to actually touch the kittens if I take it slow. Then at least I could take them for a check up, put their pictures up for adoption at my vet's, though ideally the family should stick together. This is one of the few times in my life I wish I had a car, to get to shelters - though shelters, even the great no-kill shelters, are so overwhelmed and over-packed.

Six million cats and dogs are euthanized in the U.S. every year, because people do not spay and neuter, and breeders are allowed to keep breeding, so breeders and pet store owners can rake in profits from misery and death. Every animal advocacy group on earth recommends the same simple solution: SPAY, NEUTER, ADOPT... Spread the word.

Those of you who know me, if you know anyone loyal, reliable, and willing to open their home, send me an email. I'll keep you posted and hopefully have pictures soon. For now we have two sets of cats, three indoor and four outdoor, and they are all pure love.

No comments: